Your Ad Here

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Albany State student wins research scholarship


An Albany State University Biology major has been chosen to receive the Merck Undergraduate Science Research Scholarship Award. Rosa Maudie-Monet Wright, a junior from Thomasville, will receive a $25,000 scholarship and two summer internship stipends totaling $10,000.

Wright, who is scheduled to graduate from ASU in May 2008, plans to attend medical school or pursue a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences. She credits Dr. Louise Wrensford, professor of Chemistry, with the foresight in encouraging her to apply for the Merck scholarship. “I can honestly say that without her persistence, I would not have applied,” Wright said. “From the time she told me about the scholarship until all of my paperwork had been submitted, Dr. Wrensford constantly reminded me to submit my application in a timely manner.”

The Merck Undergraduate Science Research Scholarship program seeks to increase the number of African Americans in biomedical science education and research. Wright said she is hopeful that the scholarship begins “many good things” for the research component of the Natural Sciences Department at ASU. As a result of an ASU student winning the scholarship, the department is now eligible to receive a $10,000 grant from Merck to support its research programs.

Expressing gratitude for her scholarship, Wright thanked God and her family for her achievements. “Without both of these, I would not be where I am today,” she said. “I thank the ASU faculty and staff for inspiring, motivating and molding me into the strong, determined person that I am. I especially thank Dr. (Louise) Wrensford for always pushing me to do my best and making me realize that great things do not come at small costs. I also thank Dr. Edward Lyons (professor of Biology), for being my mentor and a bridge builder for me in my path to success.”

No comments: